Thursday, August 27, 2020

My Quarantine Project

My Quarantine Project

 

I think a vast majority of the population can agree that 2020 is hands down the craziest year in recent memory, and it’s not even two-thirds of the way through yet.  We’ve all found different ways to keep ourselves occupied during our increased time at home, though some of us have been more productive than others.  Not that I am bragging.  

 

Sherlock & Irene: The Secret Truth Behind “A Scandal in Bohemia” has been my quarantine project, or at least, my first major quarantine project.  I have worked on others since then.  I had been mulling over this project for a few years, but it wasn’t until mid-March that I, having plenty of time to dedicate myself to this literary analysis, decided to devote my attention to the unanswered questions of “A Scandal in Bohemia,” and to prove that Sherlock Holmes was more competent than we all thought in his attempt to retrieve incriminating information from Irene Adler. 




 

I started by drawing up a list of unanswered questions I had about the story.  Why would the King trust burglars?  Why didn’t Holmes take the picture and run?  Why was Irene Adler’s drawing-room ransacked?  After pondering these and several other questions, I started writing short essays to answer them one by one.  Along the way, I came up with more questions to address.  When I had finally resolved all of my concerns to my own satisfaction, and I had written everything I had to say about the subject, I now I had the challenge of figuring out what order the chapters should go in the book.  Once I arranged them into a reasonably well-flowing narrative, having polished and edited the chapters along the way, I sent my manuscript to MX Publishing in mid-May.  

 

It was quickly accepted, and given a release date of August 27th.  That’s today.  Hopefully, fans of Sherlock Holmes will gain a new appreciation of his skills by reading my book.

 

 

–Chris Chan

 

 

Chris Chan’s first book, Sherlock & Irene: The Secret Truth Behind “A Scandal in Bohemia” will be released on August 27th from MX Publishing, and is available for sale at Amazon.com and the MX Publishing website, as well as at Book Depository (with free worldwide shipping there).  It is also available in a Kindle edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment