Friday, June 17, 2022

A Preview of Of Course He Pushed Him

A Preview of Of Course He Pushed Him

 

With my anthology Of Course He Pushed Him coming out later this year, I’d like to present a brief preview, coming from my introduction to the collection:

 

Sherlock Holmes has been a part of my life ever since I was a child.  I have always loved the movie and television adaptations, the radio plays, and especially, the original stories.  However, ever since I was about ten years old, I have been very disappointed in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, due to the fact that he got his work so incredibly wrong.  By reading a book introduction, I learned that Conan Doyle believed that the Sherlock Holmes stories were beneath him, and he had grown to loathe his detective.  I didn’t know what had happened to lead such a talented man so horribly astray, but even at the age of ten, I knew that Conan Doyle was horribly, inexplicably misguided.  How could a seemingly intelligent fellow come to believe that these wonderful stories weren’t worth writing?  How could he dislike such a brilliant character as Holmes?  To this day, I still don’t have a convincing answer to those questions.

A few years ago, I saw an advertisement from Belanger Books asking for submissions to one of their anthologies. They were looking for new Sherlock Holmes stories, and I, having a bit of extra time, decided to try my hand at one.  After my first tale was accepted, MX Publishing asked me to submit to another anthology, so I did, and I kept on writing.  




 

 

–Chris Chan

 

 

Chris Chan’s first novel, Sherlock’s Secretary, was released on November 3rd.  His Agatha-nominated book Murder Most Grotesque: The Comedic Crime Fiction of Joyce Porter was published by Level Best Books on September 7th.  His first non-fiction book, Sherlock & Irene: The Secret Truth Behind “A Scandal in Bohemia” is available for sale at Amazon.com and the MX Publishing website, as well as at Book Depository (with free worldwide shipping there).  It is also available in a Kindle edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Autistic Sleuth Kickstarter!