Friday, September 8, 2023

My Introduction to Nessie

My Introduction to Nessie

 

When I was rather small, my parents visited a special book sale and came back with a big box of educational books for young children.  There were lots of books on science, math, and culture, and also a trio of books covering the Egyptian Pyramids, Stonehenge, and the Loch Ness Monster.  




 

The Loch Ness Monster book was one of my favorites, and I loved a lot of the little details, including a hilarious picture of a group of adventurers who flew above the surface of the loch in a hot-air balloon, dragging a fifty-pound chunk of bacon below them on a rope, trying to get Nessie’s attention.  It also theorized about the possibility that Nessie was related to sea-dwelling dinosaurs.  Perhaps it was just as well, as the book was for a children’s audience, that they never dwelled very long on the possibility that dear old Nessie wasn’t real.

 

When I was little, I started writing a very silly story about my search for the Loch Ness Monster, drawing my own pictures for it.  I never dreamed that I’d actually write a novel about someone obsessed with Nessie over thirty years later.  

 

But I did.  And it was just published.

 

 

Chris Chan’s sequel to Sherlock’s SecretaryNessie’s Nemesis, was published on September 3rd by MX Publishing.  His novel Ghosting My Friend was released by Level Best Books on March 28th. His first novel, Sherlock’s Secretary, was released by MX Publishing, as was his anthology Of Course He Pushed Him and Other Sherlock Holmes Stories Volumes 1 & 2.  His Agatha-nominated book Murder Most Grotesque: The Comedic Crime Fiction of Joyce Porter was published by Level Best Books.  His first non-fiction book, Sherlock & Irene: The Secret Truth Behind “A Scandal in Bohemia” is available for sale at Amazon.com and the MX Publishing website, as well as at Book Depository (with free worldwide shipping there).  It is also available in a Kindle edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment